Nov 4, 2008

Play & Openness

Have you been feeling panicked, stressed, constricted when you think about money or time? I have. I have a tendency to get ahead of myself. To jump out into 3 weeks from now and try to figure out how I'll ever have enough money, or how I'll possibly get everything done. I twist myself up by moving fast to try to "catch up" to everything I have on my long list of To Do's. It's a crazy worry place that I can find myself in when I go unconscious and get out of being present.

Last week I was feeling so tight in my chest and when I would check into my breathing, I noticed that I would be sustaining myself with these shallow little puffs of air that not only kept me in a state of survival but also kept me moving fast. When I finally realized that I was creating a lot of havoc and that I was the only one who could change it, I took a few deep breaths and scheduled a play date right away. Yes, a play date! I have learned that for me, PLAY is a reliable and fun way for me to get out of drama and stress and to get my body and mind into open space. When I play, I breathe more easefully and deeper, I laugh more and move my body more. I'm actually so grounded in my body that my mind quiets and I'm able to enjoy what's happening in any given play moment. And then I get to slow down and time seems to expand.

I think as grown ups we can tend to get caught up in "grown up" life which has to look a certain way -- much of the time stressful. But ask yourself, "Am I having fun?" Are you breathing and expanding into a natural state of openness and expansiveness? If not, maybe you've created a perfect opportunity to consider a few minutes of play -- whatever that looks like to you. Perhaps the place to start is just to wonder how you might play more as a grown up and increase your fun time.

I have given myself permission to explore my creativity through shameless, childlike play and it is a reliable way for me to get back into a joyful and loving space of giving, receiving and cycling love in all its forms....and that includes money.

This week at The Appreciation Circle we will be playing more with learning how we can move our bodies and minds into authentic appreciation.

See you on Thursday @ 7:30pm! Have a great week!

No comments: